Challenge #47 - Lest We Forget

The Diva's challenge #47 asks us simply to remember. Every year vetrans sell lapel Poppies for donation.

The lapel poppies were first made in 1922 by disabled veterans. In time the Royal Canadian Legion took over the operation - and the Poppy Fund continues to support our Country's veterans.

When you create your tile or ZIA, the challenge is to remember - what this means to you. I also think of all the lapels and herring bone suits with the little red poppy decorating their lapels. Remember...

When we were kids I remember seeing the guys with the poppies and thinking how cool they were. I didn't really know what they stood for but my mom told me the men were vetrans and she bought me a poppy to wear on my coat.

My mother died in 1996 and I often think about her. When we were kids we would get an allowance of 10 cents, that tells you how long ago that was! Anyway, my sisters and I would take our big allowance and go down to the local 5 and 10 cent store when it was a special occasion, and buy my mom an "emerald ring". We didn't do this too often, only on special occasions. My mother received quite a few of those Fabulous emerald rings! She would always put the newly purchased ring on and rave about the lovely gift... tin and green glass, what more could a woman ask for? And the green smudge around her finger from the cheap little ring she wore like her badge of courage. She always said "Someday I'll get a real emerald ring!".

Many years later, on her 75th birthday, we, her 4 darling daughters, got her a real emerald ring. The ring had 4 emeralds for her 4 girls and she always wore it always. It was one of the best gifts we ever gave her. I was given that ring when she died, it is a cherished memento, and when I put that ring on, I feel close to her and I wear it as my badge of courage.

Shading and color added, a little emerald green, and it's done!

13 comments:

  1. Really great! Love how it has such meaning in a beautiful tile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniele...what a beautiful story and beautiful tiles. i really love the one with color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tile and wonderful heartwarming story of your mother. How wonderful that you and your sisters were able to buy her that ring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful memory and you have created a stunning tile, the colouring is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story and memory. Your tile is exquisite, esp. with the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both versions and the story too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tile - Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories of your mother. I'm #4 of 4 girls :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful memory and a wonderful tile...I really like the one with colour...it makes the poppy pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tangle is lovely but your story touched my heart, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I'd love to get your feedback.